Henry Hall Designs | Care & Maintenance
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Henry Hall Designs is based in San Francisco, California, and since its inception, has offered clients high quality outdoor furniture in a range of innovative designs. Along with our leading designer showroom representatives nationwide, we strive to make every purchase as seamless as possible for our clients. As a privately-owned company, run by founder Henry Hall, we personally stand behind our products and are committed to providing the utmost in customer service and product excellence.
MATERIALS & MAINTENANCE:
Please see below for a summary of furniture care and maintenance information. We recommend that you review our complete care and maintenance brochures prior to placing your order. **Please download our “Care of Furniture” PDF brochures on www.henryhalldesigns.com or call our office 800.767.7738 or 650.239.9530 for copies to be sent to you**
TEAK WOOD (Domino, Mariposa, Tru Pure, Arches/Les Arcs, Serene/Synthesis, Flow, Welcome Teak, Welcome Weave, & Tweed Collections):
Teak is a hardwood traditionally found in South East Asia, although tree plantations are now located in different tropical climates worldwide. Our commitment to the environment ensures that only sustainably managed wood is used in our furniture. See more on the source of our wood in our PDF brochure. Harvesting and drying processes vary greatly in the outdoor teak market - we use only the highest quality. Our teak is properly matured wood where oil content is at its peak and kiln dried to strengthen the wood for long-term use.
Teak is ideal for outdoor use - it has a naturally high oil content (to resist cracking or splintering) and although a hardwood, is not too heavy for practical use. Left unfinished (standard for all Henry Hall orders), sunlight and air will oxidize the top layer of the wood to turn to a silver-gray patina. To protect the original “honey color” of teak wood outdoors, a teak sealer must be applied, and reapplied every 6 to 12 months, depending on weather conditions - see more in our “Sealing/Finishing Teakwood” PDF brochure. In the outdoors, all wood will undergo a “breathing” process, which will expand the wood grain, in some areas causing fine cracks or rough patches. This process will smooth out over time and in no way affects the durability of the furniture.
When furniture first arrives, dust with damp cloth to remove “teak dust”. It is advised for the first three months that cushions be removed as often as possible, as the natural oils reach the surface layer of the wood and can stain cushions. Every 6 to 12 months, scrub furniture with a soft bristle brush, using mild soap (such as natural liquid dish detergent) and rinse with fresh water, to prevent build up of mildew feeding on the wood’s natural oils. Teak can be “watered” often using fresh water to help the weathering process develop more evenly. See PDF brochure for more information on removing deep stains or to fully restore the original color of wood.
If furniture is covered, use only an appropriate “breathable” cover for teak wood. Henry Hall Designs sells covers for our furniture - please inquire.
The table top is resistant to most stains, but it is advised to clean the top immediately after spills.
- To clean:
- Simply wash with a mild natural soap (such as liquid dish detergent) and freshwater, using a cloth.
- Wipe to dry. As usual, test any product you use in a small area first. Also be sure to maintain regular cleaning on the stainless steel frame (see “Stainless Steel” section).
POWDER COATED ALUMINUM (Domino, Welcome Weave, & Teak Collections):
All the items have a powder coating aluminum frame.
- Regular Cleaning: To keep the product in good condition we recommend regular cleaning, particularly frequent in places characterized by high humidity and marine climate. We recommend cleaning the surfaces with a soft cloth using water or neutral detergents. Prolonged and uninterrupted exposures to intense UVradiation or at very low temperatures can affect the initial characteristics of the colored polyester coating. We recommend cleaning and storing products in sheltered areas during long periods of non- use and winter.
WAPROLACE® (Serene/Synthesis Collections):
Material Facts: WaProLace® is a high-quality synthetic and weatherproof fiber hand-woven on Teak frame. Its name comes from the combination of the words “waterproof” and “lace”. Tested in qualified laboratories, three years of constant exposure to atmospheric agents and UV rays, without any color alteration. Resistant to any chloride solution, like salted or chlorinated water, and ingredients most common in suntan creams and oils.
Outdoor Use: Resistant to temperatures from -70°C to + 80°C. Entirely made of polyethylene, it is 100% recyclable and, in case of combustion, does not produce toxic substances.
Regular Cleaning: Use natural soaps or detergents
TEMPOTEST (Arches/ Les Arcs Collection):
Material Facts: Tempotest is specifically designed for outdoor use. It is a mold resistant, soil resistant, oil and water-repellent with Teflon finishing material on an aluminum frame. Composed of 100% solution dyed outdoor acrylic fiber
Regular Care & Cleaning:
- Use natural soaps or detergents and a sponge.
- Rinse with fresh water.
- Do not clean using any type of abrasive agent or scouring pad.
ZINC PLATED ALUMINIUM (Flow Collection):
Material Facts: The frames used in the Flow collection are made of solid sand cast aluminum. The frames are then coated with a zinc plating. The zinc plating results in a beautiful patina finish, and also adds an extra layer of protection against extreme conditions. The zinc plate patina will darken slightly over time.
Outdoor Use: The cast aluminum is the same high quality used in Honda engines, and can take any and all of the elements. Because the frames are aluminum, they will not rust. The hardware is steel and has been finished in a black protective powder coat. These parts are in very discreet areas, and will retain strength even if some discoloration occurs.
- Wash with natural-based soap and a sponge or soft brush.
- Rinse with fresh water.
We recommend that furniture be cleaned at least on a yearly basis. Do not clean using any type of abrasive agent or scouring pad, which will wear through the zinc plate patina.
STAINLESS STEEL FRAMES (Tweed Collection):
Material Facts: Henry Hall Designs uses Electropolished AISI 304L Stainless Steel in the Tweed collection.
Outdoor Use: Stainless steel is a great choice for those looking for durable and stylish furniture that holds up to frequent cleanings. Our metal frames are designed for outdoor use and are treated with a protective layer to provide a high level of resistance to rust. All frames are exclusively offered in “electropolished” finish - a treatment which adds further weather resistant qualities to the steel and a simultaneous smoothing and brightening of the metal surface. However, many people are surprised to learn that all stainless steel can be “stained” in certain environments! If you have any questions about the specifics of your environment, please contact our office and we would be happy to assist in your selection.
In general, we highlight three areas of use and care:
- Standard Cleaning: Furniture that is used inland with little or no direct exposure to salt water or chlorinated water. A monthly cleaning is required to remove natural deposits (such as salt or dirt), which can damage the frame and lead to deterioration.
- Using fresh water only, simply spray the frames down thoroughly, at a high hose pressure.
- Dry with a cloth to avoid water spots.
- Residential warranty applies to this environment
- Volatile Environments Cleaning: Furniture that is used in (A) windy coastal areas (but not directly on the coast) with blowing sand and salt water particles in the air or; (B) exposed directly to chlorinated water (i.e. regularly splashed from a pool or enclosed heated pools where chlorine can hang in the air.) A regular weekly cleaning as described above is required to maintain ideal frame condition.
- Residential warranty applies to this environment
- Coastal Waterfront Cleaning: Furniture that is used directly on the coast. Special consideration should be used when selecting stainless steel - regular cleanings cannot be overlooked. In these environments a weekly cleaning is required (as described above) and it is advisable to often use a sponge and mild soap (such as natural liquid dish detergent) to more thoroughly clean off any deposits.
- We do not offer a residential warranty against rust for frames used in this environment
For deeper cleaning, please refer to our full PDF brochure for details.
Never use industrial pressure washers, abrasive products, or cleaners with bleach or chlorine when cleaning any type of stainless steel
OLEFIN WEAVE (Welcome Weave Collection):
The Welcome collection is produced with hand woven 100% polyolefin rope in a light gray color. The polypropylene yarn is suitable for outdoor use. Not only is it extremely soft, but also resistant to sunlight, fungi and bacteria. The yarn is produced with non-toxic and hypoallergenic materials. It resists sunlight, salt, chlorine, acids, sunscreens, sweat and stains and has a long outdoor life. Washable at 104°, does not fade and does not stretch. It is 100% RECYCLABLE and energy consumption for the production is less than any other synthetic fiber, from which a considerable environmental advantage derives.The Olefin Weave certified is OEKO - TEX Stand 100.
FABRIC (Domino Collection):
It is recommended to clean with a neutral product and a non-abrasive cloth. Cushions have removable covers, are easy to wash and are weather resistant. They contain quick dry foam padding. The fabric is coated with a waterproof treatment and is resistant to UV rays. Fire retardant certification BS EV 1021-1-BS EN1021-2. You can safely launder both fabrics in a washing machine. (4) Initial water temperature should not exceed 40oC.
- Do notdry clean.
- Do notuse an electric dryer.
- Do notiron
Henry Hall Designs custom makes cushions to perfectly fit each item in our collection. Unless otherwise specified in writing, cushions will be manufactured following the standard outlines, as stated next to the cushion description for each item in this price list.
Cushions are fabricated in Customer’s Own Material (COM) A 50% deposit is required on the total order to initiate cushion manufacturing. We cannot accept returns or cancellations on COM cushions. COM yardage requirements are estimates based on 54” wide, solid color fabric. Please double check on fabric yardage if using a pattern or stripe fabric.
**Note: We do not accept awning weight fabric for cushion construction and we maintain the right to refuse any fabric for cushion construction or charge an upcharge to work with unusual fabrics. If in doubt of usability, please send a sample in advance for review**
Please ship all COM yardage to:
- Henry Hall Designs, 833 MAHLER STREET SUITE 2, BURLINGAME, CA 94010 Tel: 650.239.9530. Henry Hall Designs’ order number (i.e. “040513C”) must be marked on the packing slip along with any side mark or tag references to ensure accurate and timely fabrication.
Cushion Fill Facts:
Henry Hall cushions are filled with a standard, medium density, hypo-allergenic polyurethane foam. A Dacron® wrap is then covered around the foam interior. Our cushions are meant to be taken indoors or covered during wet weather. If you live in an area of unpredictably rainy weather, or simply do not want to regularly store cushions when not in use, you can specify Flow-Through foam for your cushions. Additional material specifications on Flow-Through foam can be provided upon request. However, please note that even cushions constructed of Flow-Through foam will have a longer lifespan if they are stored indoors when possible. Please note that no foam, not even Flow-Through foam, is completely mildew resistant. If furniture is covered, use only an appropriate “breathable” cover. Note: protective covers are available for purchase. Please Inquire
- Clean: When cushions first arrive, make sure to wipe down furniture before putting cushions on. We recommend covering cushions or taking them indoors when not in use, and certainly during wet weather. This is especially true during initial weathering of new teak furniture when oils will leach out of the wood in damp conditions. As such, it is advised to keep cushions off of teak furniture when not in use especially during the first three months. To prolong the new look of cushions, we recommended that you regularly (once every 1-2 months) brush off dirt to prevent it from settling deep in the fabric, as mildew may grow on dirt and other deposits on the fabric. Depending on what kind of fabric that you use, consult with the fabric manufacturer to find out what they recommend for general cleaning.
- In most cases, simply scrub off dirt using a soft bristle brush with fresh water mixed with a small amount of natural soap. Do not soak the cushion thoroughly, just enough to get the surface dirt off. If the cushion does get soaked thoroughly, due to cleaning or rainy weather, unzip the cover and dry thoroughly in an open air environment. Remove foam insert for more efficient drying. Drying time may require several days, depending on wetness of cushion, environmental factors, and the type of foam selected for your cushions. Large sofa pieces, such as Mariposa and Pure Sofa are prone to taking a long time to dry out because of the size of the cushion. The best way to avoid a long drying out time is to keep cushions in a dry storage area.